An introduction to UKCA marking and certification

The UKCA mark and CE mark: essential for products placed on the market in Great Britain and Europe. Understand the basics of UK conformity assessment with our beginners guide.

The basics of the UKCA and CE marking

The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessment) marking and the CE marking are significant marks for products traded within Great Britain and the European Economic Area (EEA) respectively. The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The UKCA mark is a new UK product marking required for goods being placed on the market in Great Britain following the UK's departure from the EU. This marking replaced the CE mark for these products, signifying that they comply with UK legislation and standards. On the other hand, the CE mark is a mandatory conformity marking for certain products sold within the European Economic Area (EEA). It indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards stipulated in EU regulations. Products exported from the UK to EEA countries must bear this marking. Conformity assessment involves testing, inspection and certification to confirm that products meet the required qualifications for these seals of approval, hence are eligible to be placed on the market under these terms. It should be noted that there are both similarities and differences in the application process and requirements for both marks. 

Products that require UKCA marking

The UKCA marking is a new UK product marking that is used for goods being placed on the market in Great Britain. It covers most products which previously required CE marking. As of January 1, 2021, any applicable products sold in Great Britain must be UKCA marked to show they conform to the UK regulations. The UKCA marking is an endorsement of meeting all essential requirements as per UK legislation and standards, a display of its safety and performance. Essentially, it signifies that a product has undergone a thorough UK conformity assessment and addresses potential risks. Businesses need to ensure that this marking is clearly visible, readable, and is placed on a label affixed to the product. This is imperative in order to comply with the new post-Brexit rules and regulations pertaining to product compliance, effectively replacing the requirement of the EU's CE marking.

What is the difference between UKCA and CE marks?

The introduction of UKCA marking represents a significant change in product marking for goods sold in the UK market. The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) mark is the new product marking used for certain goods being placed on the market in Great Britain, replacing the CE mark following the UK's departure from the EU. While the CE mark is a certification mark that indicates conformity with European health, safety, and environmental protection standards, the new UKCA mark signifies that a product meets specific regulatory requirements of the UK. In essence, where a CE mark indicated that a product was EU notified, the UKCA mark signifies that it is UK designated. This change is part of the shift from the EU's desire to harmonise laws and regulations across a single market to the UK's new independent regulatory system. The transition from CE to UKCA marking is a critical component of the ongoing adjustments to UK-EU trade relations. 

Can CE marked products still be sold in the UK?

Following the UK's exit from the European Union, a new product marking for goods being sold on the GB market was introduced on 1 January 2021 known as the UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) marking. However, around the spring of 2024, The government intends to legislate to continue recognition of EU requirements, including the CE marking, indefinitely for a range of product regulations. This provides businesses with greater flexibility. They could choose to use, for the identified product range, either the UKCA marking or the CE marking to comply with product regulations. For further information and the latest updates on the matter, you can visit the "Using the UKCA marking Guidance" on the UK GOV website

Does the UKCA mark apply to Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales?

The UKCA marking requirements apply to goods being placed on the market in England, Scotland, and Wales. The UK Government introduced it to replace the CE mark following Brexit. When it comes to Northern Ireland, however, the scenario is slightly different. Goods placed on the market in Northern Ireland use the UKNI (UK Northern Ireland) mark, not the UKCA. This is due to the special status afforded to Northern Ireland under the terms of the Brexit agreement. Nevertheless, the UKCA mark can be used in conjunction with the UKNI mark for qualifying Northern Ireland goods when these are also being sold in England, Scotland, and Wales. For construction products specifically, either the UKCA or the UKNI marking on products will be used, depending on the intended market. Therefore, while the UKCA mark covers Great Britain, its adoption in Northern Ireland is unique. 

Who can certify products for UKCA marking?

Conformity Assessment Bodies (CAB) are organisations which are recognised and accredited by the national accreditation bodies to carry out conformity assessments for products that need UK Conformity Assessed (UKCA) marking before they can be placed on the market in the UK. They are responsible for certifying that products meet specific technical requirements and conform to designated standards. These technical requirements are generally health, safety, and environmental protection standards. Conformity Assessment Bodies (CAB) provide manufacturers with the evidence they need to demonstrate that their products comply with relevant regulations. Once a product has successfully undergone the required conformity assessment, manufacturers are then authorised to mark their products with the UKCA marking. This marking is a declaration by the manufacturer that the product meets all the applicable requirements and can be sold within the UK. It is important to note that, as per the UK government guidance, after the end of the Brexit transition period, a UK-based approved body must carry out the conformity assessment for the UKCA mark.


For more information and updates on UKCA and CE marking, please visit:

Using the UKCA marking
UKCA marking: conformity assessment and documentation
CE marking - European Commission


How can Crover Testing Services help?

Whether you are aiming to achieve UKCA marking via an accredited organisation or to issue a statement of conformity yourself, or are still developing your product, we can probably help accelerate and de-risk the certification process by performing the relevant standardised tests and providing expert advice.

Reach out with your enquiry via the 'Submit a request' button below.


Disclaimer: The information in this article is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We make no representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, timeliness or reliability of the information contained herein. We assume no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content of this article or for any consequences arising from the use or misuse of the information. You should consult a qualified professional before taking any action based on the information in this article.